Qualification criteria for a care dependency grant

The care dependency grant covers disabled children from birth until they turn 18.If you’re the parent, guardian, foster parent or custodian of a child younger than 18 years, who needs full-time care because of mental or physical disability, you can get a monthly payment from the government called a Care Dependency Grant. The child must need and have permanent home care.

Apply for a same day cash loan here »

To qualify for a care dependency grant you must

  • be a parent, primary caregiver or a foster parent appointed by the court.
  • be a South African citizen or permanent resident.
  • not earn more than R180 000 a year if you are single. Your combined income should not be above R360 000 a year if you are married.

Note: This income limit does not apply to foster parents.

The child must:

  • be younger than 18 years.
  • not be cared for permanently in a state institution.
  • have a severe disability and need full-time and special care.
  • Both you and the child must live in South Africa.

Note: A state medical officer must assess the child before the grant will be approved.

You must both be living in South Africa at the time of applying for the grant. You must also be looking after the child legally as a parent, guardian, foster parent or custodian, so you must either be the child’s parent or have a court order which says you must look after the child. Unless you’re the foster parent of the disabled child, both you and the child must be South African citizens to get the grant. The applicant must submit a medical/assessment report confirming permanent, severe disability.

See Also